Why we love transcribing
We are a turnkey research company and the reason for turnkey is because we offer all of the services involved in a research project, from fieldwork all the way up to presenting of the findings. Research is always exciting because it is an explorative journey to the unknown, even when you think you know; the data always presents itself differently, much like an abstract object that can be seen in many different angles.
We of course love all aspect of our jobs, mostly our clients because they give us these great projects. What we want to share is how much we love transcribing and the 10 reasons why:
1. You can transcribe from anywhere in the world as long as you have headphones and a smart device, back in the days I would have said laptop but now any smart device with the needed template allows you to transcribe, I have transcribed on my mobile phone, pretty cool right?
2. You can split your work into small chunks and still carry on with your normal day whilst working on a transcript.
3. It is a good way to learn about different topics without the heavy work load of being involved in many projects, you can learn about different research topics, categories without being "branded" as a specialist in any field.
4. It is an excellent way to understand the value of time, if you are a beginner in transcribing, you always underestimate the time it will take to finish the transcript but the more experience you become you learn to factor in enough time in order to complete the transcript
5. It calls for good collaboration, life happens, at the very worst of time life happens; and it hinders you from completing the transcript and when that happens, you need to figure out how to collaborate your time with others in order to meet your deliverable to client.
6. Transcribing is a good "aha" moment, hearing people tell their personal stories or journeys, is always a window to your own life and brings you an "aha" moment, you sit there and think "Oh wow, I have never thought of it like that.
7. Number 7 is very much related to number 6, transcribing allows you to get driven and push yourself because you hear the moves that others are making and note that this is mostly related to market research transcribing and not other types of transcribing such as business meetings or law transcripts
8. If you are willing to learn, it is a great opportunity to learn different languages, especially in the South African context where we have 11 official languages.
9. It improves your general knowledge because you often have to google words you don't know how to spell, spelling is important people.
10. Finally, which goes without saying; you get to improve your typing skills, if you were a fast typer prior to transcribing, you will certainly start typing faster because you always want to finish you current transcript
faster so that you can start on the next one.